Employers, colleges, and universities who only need to verify that a candidate has a GED or HSED from Wisconsin and the date of issuance (without obtaining certified test scores, transcripts, or credentials) may fax a request to the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. Here are the key steps:
Fax a request to 608/267-9275, the request may be on one sheet of paper and must contain the following:
- Candidate's name (or names) at time of testing.
- Candidate's full date of birth
- Candidate's full social security number
- Approximate (or actual) year when tests were taken (if known)
- Location of testing (if known)
- Confirmation that you have a signed release on file from the candidate.
We will fax back confirmation of the following:
- Record that a GED or HSED was issued and the date, or
- Confirmation that we have no record given the information provided,
- Indication that the candidate must contact our office to clear up discrepancies.
Every attempt will be made to complete verifications within 2 business days of receipt.
At this time, phone verifications are not possible.
If a certified transcript or duplicate credential is needed, please use this process: How to Order GED/HSED Transcripts and Credentials
Contact: Beth Lewis, GED/HSED Administrator, 608-267-1062
Judy Stowell, Office Operations Associate, 608-267-9245 or call toll-free 800-768-8886