How to Order GED/HSED Transcripts and Credentials

If you earned your Certificate of General Educational Development (GED) or your High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) in Wisconsin and need a duplicate, or you need a Certified Transcript of your GED/HSED scores sent to a school, employer, etc., you must pay a fee and complete an order form on which you will be asked to provide the following information to the Department of Public Instruction:

  • Your name at the time of GED testing or the way your name appears on your credential (be accurate, this is the way your records are filed);
  • Your date of birth;
  • Your social security number;
  • Your telephone number, with area code
  • The address(es) to which you want your document(s) sent; and
  • Your signature (transcripts cannot be released without a signed request)
  • Enclose a check, money order, or your credit card number (Visa,  Master Card, or American Express accepted) and expiration date for the total amount of your fees, using our convenient order form. There is a $15.00 fee for each separate document (credential or transcript) you request. If additional copies of these separate documents are requested on the same order, they will be issued at a charge of $2.00 each.

All information provided will remain strictly confidential. When we receive your order form and fee payment, we will issue your document(s) and mail them to your home (unless another location is specified on the form). Your order will be processed in the sequence received and could take two or three weeks.

An Emergency Service Fee of $25.00 is available to have documents shipped within 48 hours. This $25.00 fee is in addition to the fee for the document(s) requested. Emergency orders must have a street address because the delivery services DO NOT deliver to post office boxes.  It may take 3-5 business days to receive the documents depending on your location

Mail the completed form, along with your check or money order* for the applicable fee(s), to:

Business Office
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
PO Box 7841
Madison, WI 53707-7841

*Credit card order forms can be faxed to (608) 267-9275

Persons who want to come to the department to pick a copy of their certified transcript or duplicate credential should call and schedule an appointment at 608-267-9245.

Companies, colleges and universities seeking verifications (without certified transcripts) may follow these steps: How to Verify a GED/HSED Credential

Questions? Call 608-267-9245 or toll-free, 800-768-8886. You may also e-mail the GED Program at

Contact:  Beth Lewis, GED/HSED Administrator, 608-267-1062


Judy Stowell, Office Operations Associate, 608-267-9245 or call toll-free 800-768-8886

FAX: 608-267-9275

Some of these links may take you to non-DPI Websites. Linking these sites does not represent a DPI endorsement of the hosting agencies nor the information available at their sites.


For questions about this information, contact Judy Stowell (608) 267-9245